|Posted by VideoLAN |
|News and Excuses|
I must start this post by sharing some excuses of not doing enough updates lately.The main reason is that we've been mostly under-water with the current development, that took most of our time.
News and report
The good news is that we have had tremendous progress...
The bad is that we have still a bit of work to do before sharing it on the store, as I will explain soon.
But first, the current pictures:
Current start screen
Fully working playback
If you followed closely, our main work, in addition to the UI, was to fight and replace the forbidden symbols not allowed on Windows App Store mode.
We've been quite efficient at that, working closely with Mingw-w64 project and GCC developers.
The biggest result is that we have now cut down 90% of our symbols, that are forbidden on Metro Mode.
We mostly did this by:
We did also a lot of minor things to help the integration of libVLC and VLC in this modern platform.
- replacing our forbidden calls with newer authorized equivalent calls,
- modifying gcc and Mingw-w64,
- writing new code in a special library of ours,
- writing dummy functions,
- disabling VLC code that would not work on the Metro platform,
- moving VLC to MSVCRT 11.0, moving all the VLC codebase to UNICODE and WideChars to fit the new requirements.
What are we working on now:
We are now mainly working on 2 things:
What we are gonna work just after:
- make VLC work with MSVCRT 11.0 without crashing
- write headers and C/C++ code to access the new fashion of COM APIs in which WinRT is written in.
They are gonna get shipped soon
Jean-Baptiste for the VLC for Windows 8 Team